Dry Conditions

With dry conditions and little chance of measureable moisture in the near future we remind everyone to use extreme caution when conducting any type of outside burning. Please insure that you have sufficient manpower, water, and equipment to control the fire, this is your responsibility. You must monitor your fire until it is completely extinguished. We have had numerous out of control grass fires, burning without a permit and burning on “NO BURN DAYS”.
Anyone burning in Osage County is required to have a burn permit in all unincorporated areas (outside city limits–check with your city for regulations on burning). You may obtain a burn permit at the following locations:

  • City offices at Carbondale, Scranton, Osage City, Overbrook, Melvern, and Burlingame, Quenemo
  • Fire Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
  • Osage County Clerks, Land Development, Sheriff’s, Extension, Emergency Management, and USDA Service Center Office in Lyndon.

Burn permits are valid for four (4) years from the time of issue. You must contact the Osage County Sheriff Dispatch Center at 785 828 3121 before starting a burn and after your fire is completely extinguished.

More information and electronic burn permit applications can be found on the Osage County Web Site under the Emergency Management tab at http://www.osageco.org or by contacting Osage County Emergency Management at 785 828 3323 or bromine@oscosheriff.org.

Emergency Management Osage County

131 W. 14TH ST. P.O. Box 423
LYNDON, KANSAS 66451-0423
February 13, 2018